Release date: September 2016
Estimated completion time*: 3 hrs
This resource explains the process to supervisors and trainees so they work together effectively to address training difficulties. It supports supervisors and trainees to navigate the Training Support Pathway.
*The estimated completion time is an approximate guide and does not account for time spent on optional additional readings and activities.
Tags: Category 1 Educational activities
Overview of the Trainee in Difficulty Support Policy and Pathway
- Describe the Trainee in Difficulty Support Policy
- Outline the steps involved in the Pathway
Identifying the difficulty
- Explain how a trainee in difficulty might be identified.
- Outline reasons why a trainee might experience difficulty.
Assessing and diagnosing the difficulty
- Explain strategies that can be used to assess and diagnose a trainee in difficulty.
- Recognise the importance of feedback and how it can be used to improve performance.
- Outline how a supervisor could prepare for and conduct a performance review meeting
Supporting the trainee and managing training performance
- Describe strategies that can be used to support a trainee in difficulty.
- Use the Improving Performance Action Plan (IPAP) to define expected performance standards and assist a trainee to get back on track.
- Identify satisfactory and/or unsatisfactory performance and manage appropriately
- Recognise when assistance or escalation of the issue is required and follow the appropriate pathway
Who it is for
- New and experienced supervisors
- Basic and advanced trainees
- RACP Fellows from any specialty
What you'll get
- Video scenarios that demonstrate the Trainee in Difficulty Support Policy, Process and Pathway
- Practice, reflection and discussion activities
- Toolbox of supporting resources that cover the skills and frameworks in detail
- Curated list of additional resources and further reading
What you'll learn
- How to identify a trainee in difficulty
- The main types of difficulty experienced by trainees
- How to refer a trainee to the Training Support Pathway
- Tips for having challenging conversations and providing feedback
- How to prepare for a successful meeting
- How to write and review an IPAP